I was so busy with work/school/housework...I didn't really have time to post an update on Lilo.
Lilo continues to improve! She is now eating some dry kibbles. I'm more than excited because I no longer have to chase her dog and force her to eat. It really makes the day go a little faster. We are still feeding her some wet food because of the potassium powder supplement. I don't think she likes the taste of it (yeah, it smells pretty gross!) so mixing it with flavorful wet food helps.
Lilo walks some these days, not a whole lot. I wonder if this is because her back legs are still sore from all the blood drawing. (she was so bruised up to the point she only has one good vein left.)
She is taking her medicines without trouble, thanks to pill pockets. If these sodium bicarbonate pills are for the long term, I need to start planning these pill pocket purchase. She is taking 6 bicarbonate and 1 zenequin antibiotic = 7 pills = 3.5 pill pockets (I use half a pocket and roll it and a pill into a ball for Lilo) It's actually kinda fun. 30 pill pockets per bag = 8.5 days at current dosage level...that's one bag per week. (gosh, I really have to stock up!)
The vet prescribes 14 bicarbonate pills per day. I gave Lilo 4 pills the first day, she drank 3 bowls of water and peed all over her bed. (she was in our bedroom, too weak to go down the stairs to the kitchen tiles) Plus the 14 pills is based on blood gas result when she was at ICU, when she was on IV and not eating. Lilo did another blood gas test last Friday (after 4 pills) and now we are waiting for the internal medicine specialist to get back to us on her dosage. We'll be going to Dr. P on Saturday, probably for another blood gas test. By this time, Lilo would have been on 6 pills per day for one full week, so we can make a better assessment on further treatment.

No comments:
Post a Comment