Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fanconi Syndrome

It has been a while since I post an update. I have been reading up on Fanconi syndrome and the treatment protocol. (see link on the right margin under Resources)

We finally secured a bottle of sodium bicarbonate (i.e. baking soda) in tablet form from Wal-Mart pharmacy. Yes, we hate Wal-Mart, but we checked a few other places and they only have it in powder form. So there goes our $16 contribution to evil!  Apparently, bicarbonate is a very important treatment in Fanconi cases because of acidosis concern.

And because of the high glucose in urine (glucosuria) - a medium for bacteria growth - we will have to watch out for potential UTI (urinary tract infection). Fanconi is usually genetics related, urinalysis every 6 months is recommended to monitor progress. Owners can also test the urine monthly using those human glucose test strips.

I'm not sure if Lilo's case is from genetics or induced (through ingestion of toxins). So I guess we will have to discuss with Dr. P and Dr. K. what kind of follow-ups are needed.

About Lilo...
Great news today! She finally pooped!!!! after almost 3 weeks of no poop. I was getting pretty concerned since she ate quite a bit of chicken and canned food since Friday night. I fed her some carrots last night and some yogurt this morning. (she didn't want yogurt, but too bad, I had the potassium powder mixed in, so I forced her to eat it.) So a combination of carrots, yogurt, and potassium supplement probably help get her system moving.

She will have her follow up with Dr. P tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram