Dr. P called and told us Lilo's Fanconi tested positive. I'm not sure what that really means since the cause for this is still an unknown (bad treats vs genetics)
In terms of the treatment plan for Lilo, we are looking at follow up visits once a month. She will stay on her potassium chloride supplement and sodium bicarbonate pills. We're reducing her sodium bicarb pills down to 3 tablets twice a day because Lilo has been having accidents in the house, and they smell like salt water, no pee smell (oh yes, I sniff it out!) The pills are causing her to drink a lot more than before.
We'll be monitoring her kidney levels, along with blood gas and probably urine glucose, at each check up. The doctors say it may take a year or more for the kidney to repair. If things don't improve after a year, Lilo may very likely have Fanconi for the rest of her life. From what I read so far, this syndrome is very manageable with a combination of pills and tests to monitor kidney and glucose levels. I'll research more about this once I catch back up on my grad school stuff. (since Lilo's sickness started around the same time the semester started, I pretty much been behind every week.)
So that's the update for now. Not much of an update other than we're in it for a rather long treatment plan.

No comments:
Post a Comment